Sirach 35:11 – With every gift show a cheerful face, and dedicate your tithe with gladness.
We support many local causes.
Here are some :
- The CMS Food Bank, which supports those in need in Cobble Hill, Mill Bay and Shawnigan. We collect food every week as parishioners bring it, and give cash donations.
- Community Kitchens, an initiative to help families develop skill and share the costs of food preparation. cowichancommunitykitchens.org
- Warmland House, where we participate in running the Foot Clinics cowichanvalley.cmha.bc.ca
- Providence Farm providence.bc.ca
- Acacia Ty Mawr Care Home, where we offer the resident seniors a short service of hymns and readings on the last Sunday afternoon of the month, 2 p.m.
- Cowichan Hospice Society cowichanvalleyhospice.org
- Cowichan Caregivers Society familycaregiverssupport.org
We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and other special occasions with donations to our Penny Jar, and that money is sent to the Primate’s World Relief And Development Fund for special assistance in Canadian and international crises. www.pwrdf.org
We have special events during the year – such as collecting and distributing clothing and hygiene items for the Compassionate Warehouse www.crwarehouse.ca to distribute to needy communities overseas; some of our members also knit teddy bears for children and washcloths for maternity packs. At Christmastime we support the Angel Gifts program in our own community.
September Festival – every year we hold a gigantic festival which has become a community landmark. We attract festival-goers from all around the Island, with an enormous yard sale, home baking, a clothing venue, books, hamburgers and other treats, Divine Desserts, children’s games, a silent auction, music, an art display, jewellery table, and other delights. Thousands attend every year, and a portion of the proceeds is given to local charities. This year the event takes place on Saturday September 16th, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.